This is a super simple side dish using only a few ingredients. The canned tomatoes provide most of the seasonings and give it zesty Italian flavor in minutes. I like to use this as a quick side dish for barbecued steak or chicken. Enjoy!
4-5 small zucchini
1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian recipe stewed tomatoes
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp coarse ground garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
- Slice zucchini into thin rounds, 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Cook zucchini several minutes until zucchini become tender. Season with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add canned tomatoes including liquid.
- Simmer until heated through and zucchini are fully cooked.
I love the flavor combination of tomato, basil and mozzarella. It’s a classic for a reason! When I needed a quick no-carb lunch last week I turned this classic combo into a five-minute treat. It really satisfied that craving for bruschetta without any bread!
1 large ripe tomato, stem and core removed, sliced 1/4 ” thick
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1-2 TBSP fresh basil herb paste (found in the produce section of the market)
- Wash, stem, core and slice tomato. Place on non-reactive cookie sheet
- In a small bowl combine cheese with basil paste.
- Spread evenly over tomatoes.
- Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
This makes a great quick lunch or a nice side dish on a hot summer night since the broiler won’t heat up the house. For extra pizzaz try adding a little salt and pepper to the tomatoes or drizzle with olive oil before broiling.