This is a recipe for my husband. He was craving spicy carrots so we found a recipe and made them together. Personally, I am a wimp when it comes to spicy foods, so I never would have made this without his suggestion.
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
2 TBSP vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic, diced
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
6 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
12 whole peppercorns
8-12 oz jarred sliced jalapeño peppers (the more, the hotter your end result)
- Peel carrots and slice into stick or cut on bias into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a large (10-12″) skillet on medium heat.
- Add garlic and carrots. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, peppercorns, salt, bay leaves. Bring to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add water and jalapeños (with liquid from jar). Return to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Place in air-tight container including liquid and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve remove carrot and jalapeño pieces with a slotted spoon.
Makes 2 quarts of carrots and liquid.
This recipe is adapted from About.com’s Mexican Food Section