Pinterest in Action: Reusable Swiffer Duster

swiffer duster sewing projectWhen I saw the pin for a washable, reusable head for a Swiffer duster handle I put it to the top of my To Try List. I like the convenience of the handle on the Swiffer dusters and the kids think it’s fun to use them.  The trouble is that the refills cost more than I really want to spend on something that gets thrown away.

I figured it was worth a shot to try making one. Are you thinking polka-dots with black cats is an interesting choice of fabric? Yeah,  well I had a pair of flannel pajama pants that were too big last winter. The top fit, but the pants were comically big and roomy. I recently lost 35 pounds making the pants feel even more ridiculous so I cut them up!

Here is the link to the original blog post by Sew Much Ado I found on Pinterest. It has all the step by step photos, dimensions and instructions.

Here’s my project:

 

swiffer duster sewing project

You need a Swiffer Duster handle and some flannel fabric.

swiffer duster sewing project

Next step is to put the layers together and sew down the middle.

swiffer duster project

Mark the sides of the handle. This will be sewn down. If I was doing this project again I would also sew along the end to keep the handle from sliding all the way through.

swiffer duster sewing project

I have a different Swiffer handle than the one from the Pinterest pin, so mine looks a little different.

swiffer sewing project

Now it’s starting to look like something!

All that’s left is to cut into strips and wash. It came out of the dryer fluffy and ready to go.

This was a very fun little project to do. It didn’t take much time and since I used old flannel it didn’t cost me anything. The duster works well–not quite as well as the disposable Swiffer heads, but plenty good enough for me. The kids love using the handle duster and that means less dusting for Mommy! The only thing I would change is sewing across the top so that the handle wouldn’t slide all the way through. (My handle is different from the one used in the tutorial.) All in all, I consider this a Pinterest Success!

Pinterest In Action: Make Your Own Fire Starters

Here comes the first in a series of “Pinterest in Action” posts. Pinterest is full of great ideas, but all that pinning is for nothing if you don’t try some of the things you see.

My first project was fire starters.  Our new house has a beautiful big wood-burning fireplace, but it doesn’t have a gas starter. We’ve been using paper and kindling most of the time. I’ve also used fire-starter blocks (my mom bought for us, thanks mom!) from the hardware store and they worked well.  When I saw a DIY project for fire starters on Pinterest I thought I should give it a try! The original post with instructions comes from Root Simple here.

MATERIALS I USED:

The things I used for this project are totally free – it actually used up things I would otherwise throw away: dryer lint, cardboard egg cartons, leftover candle wax (from burned out candles).

I started collecting the dryer lint a few weeks ago. There is never a shortage of that around here! I just keep a small plastic storage container in the laundry and keep filling it up.

I also purposely bought eggs in cardboard egg cartons rather than foam containers for a few weeks. We go through a lot of eggs, so that was easy too.

The tough part came in finding the left-over candle wax.  But one of my 3-wick candles had a blow out and there you go – a big lump of wax. I also collected the wax left after burning some votives. I also have some blocks of wax from the craft store (for candle making) but didn’t need those.

I also used empty glass jars (from spaghetti sauce), a large pot and some aluminum foil.

WHAT I DID:

When I thought I had enough lint saved up I filled the egg cartons. I packed it in so the wells of the carton were full with lint.

Then I cut the wax up into smaller pieces and put it in a couple of empty glass jars.


I placed the jars of wax in a large pot filled with about 4 inches of water and set it on very low heat.


Once the wax was melted I carefully poured it into the wells so the lint could soak it up. After the wax had cooled I cut the carton apart using kitchen shears.

And….THEY WORK GREAT!