I wanted to make My Wonderful Husband a treat for our anniversary. I was waiting for a delivery so I had to figure out something from what I had on hand. I came up with carrot cake. I bought a 10 pound bag of carrots at Costco a couple of weeks ago. Time to finish those things off! The rest of the ingredients are staples at our house.
This carrot cake is moist but not oily and lightly spiced (which is what my husband prefers). It’s nice to detect the flavors of the ingredients and not be overwhelmed with spices. It’s carrot cake, not spice cake, after all. The cake is flavored with carrots, golden raisins and pineapple and topped with cream cheese frosting.
This recipe adapted from Carrot and Pineapple Cake by Ina Garten.
Ingredients for Cake:
2 c. sugar
1 ½ c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ½ c. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
1 c. golden raisins
3 c. shredded carrots
¾ c. chopped pineapple (canned is fine)
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
12 oz. cream cheese softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350°
1. Using a stand mixer beat sugar, vegetable oil and eggs until well combined and lighter yellow in color. Add vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
3. Mix dry ingredients into egg mixture.
4. Add raisins, carrots and pineapple, mixing on low speed until combined.
5. Prepare two 9 inch round cake pans by lightly coating with non-stick spray, lining with waxed paper or parchment and spray again.
6. Bake at 350° for 45 -55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in pans 5 minutes, the transfer to cooling racks.
8. Once the cakes are completely cooled whip together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Once combined add the powdered sugar and mix well.
9. Frost and assemble the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve, and refrigerate leftover cake – if there is any!!