Bite sized snacks of salty-sweet deliciousness!
These are so good. No, I mean really, really good. And simple to make. I like to make them as gifts to hand out at Christmas. Or anytime really. I made a triple batch last weekend to take to the family cabin at the lake.
The recipe, if you can call it that, requires only three ingredients and takes about 20 minutes to make. Plan a little more time if you are making multiple batches, about 30 minutes total. Plus a few hours for cooling.
You will need:
- A bag of Rollo candies. (A bag contains about 50 pieces)
- Some mini pretzels
- Roasted, salted almonds (or pecans, walnuts…whatever you like.)
Get to work!
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil (or parchment).
- Lay out the pretzels on the cookie sheet. Use only whole pretzels.
Parchment or foil keeps the candies from sticking. Less clean up!
- Unwrap all the Rollos. This is the most time-consuming step. Try not to eat too many!
- Place one Rollo on each pretzel.
- Place in the oven on low (approx 250-300°F) for about 5 minutes. You will know they are ready when the chocolate becomes shiny and lighter in color.
Chocolate is lighter and shiny.
- Remove from oven to a cooling rack and press one almond into the top of the Rollo.
Press the nuts into the Rollos.
- Yep, that’s it. Let them cool. It takes a few hours for the chocolate to harden back up. If you’re really in a hurry place the sheet in the freezer for a few minutes.
So simple, and SO good. If you have a caramel lover in your home they will love these. It’s more like candy than a cookie. I made four pans to bring to my MOPS meeting today! I’m not to be trusted with a pan of these hanging around the house!
Oatmeal Caramel Cookie Bars Preheat Oven to 350°
Still warm and the caramel is gooey!
1 pkg. (14oz) caramel candies
1/3 c. evaporated milk
2 c. flour
2 c. oatmeal
1 ½ c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
I made a triple batch and split it into four 8x8 pans!
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c. butter (two sticks)
1 pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
Heat candies and milk in 2 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from heat. Mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, soda, salt and egg in large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly.
Press half of the mixture into a 9×13 pan. Bake 10 minutes, remove. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and drizzle with caramel sauce. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over the top. Return to oven and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars.