It’s January and that means most of us are trying to watch what we eat after all that holiday indulging. I’m trying to get back on track with my weight loss program too. I’ve found that if I get the day started with a proper breakfast I’m more likely to stay on track the rest of the day.
I came up with these Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Mini Quiches as an alternative to my usual veggie quiche cups. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood for a bunch of green veggies first thing in the morning. This is a nice alternative that is still high in protein and loaded with flavor.
1 1/2 large yellow onions, sliced thin
10 oz. package sliced cremini mushrooms
3 tsp olive oil (divided)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shredded cheese
12 large eggs, beaten
- Coat a muffin pan with non-stick spray, set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes, add salt and reduce heat to low. Stir often until onions are browned and caramelized.
- Divide the onions evenly among the muffin cups.
- Add remaining 1 tsp olive oil to the pan, add mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring often. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Divide evenly among muffin cups.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over muffin cups.
- Pour beaten eggs into muffin cups, dividing evenly. Use a fork to stir cup contents.
- Place on center rack of oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are browned and eggs are set.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on a rack. Run a butter knife along the edge to loosen before removing from the muffin pan. Some sticking may occur. You can use foil cupcake liners for easier removal.
- Low-fat shredded cheese can be used in place of regular cheese to reduce fat and calories of the recipe.
- This recipe has only a small amount of added salt. You may want to increase salt to 1/2 tsp if you like salt.
- These freeze well. To reheat microwave for 60-90 seconds until heated through. Remove foil cupcake liner if using!
- I used recipe analysis from Calorie Count to figure the nutritional value. This recipe comes out to 131 calories per quiche! They have 8 grams of fat, 9 grams of protein and only 3 grams of carbohydrate (1.4 g sugar).