This cake is SO good and easy to make too. I brought this over to my in-laws for Christmas Day dinner and it was a big hit! When it was time for our New Year’s BBQ I was asked to make it again. Yeah, it’s that good!
I promise this is easy to make – it uses boxed cake mix and a few extra ingredients.
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups chopped almonds
1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
1 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 extra-large or 4 regular eggs
Fresh Whipped Cream:
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In order to prevent messy clean up, I advise lining the lower rack of the oven with a sheet of aluminum foil to catch drips, which are likely to occur.
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a medium sauce pan melt the praline ingredients over medium heat, stirring until ingredients are combined. Remove from heat and pour into cake pan. Either two 8″ round cake pans or one large rectangular pan.
- Mix cake batter ingredients. Pour over praline in the cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before inverting onto a cake plate.
- In a medium bowl beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Chill until ready to use.
- Chill cake thoroughly before frosting with fresh whipped cream.