This baked pasta is a nice change from the usual pasta and red sauce. It’s loaded with colorful veggies and gooey mozzarella cheese. Serve with a green salad and you could have dinner for 4-6 people for around $12.
This recipe comes from eMeals Simple Gourmet eating plan. I’ll do a full review of eMeals explaining exactly how it works and how it saves me money very soon. For now, all you need to know is that eMeals provides a weekly meal plan (7 dinners) that includes recipes for a main dish and sides and a convenient shopping list for all meals. I’ve been using the service for a few weeks and I’m really happy with it!
If you are interested in checking it out, click on the ad below.
Anyway, on to the recipe!
1 box (16 oz.) penne pasta
1 TBSP olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 TBSP chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
8 oz package shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; cook 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper to pan; cook 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini to pan; cook 2 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté 1 minute.
- Combine pasta, onion mixture, tomatoes and 1/2 the cheese in a medium bowl. Add pasta mixture to 7” x 11” baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is browned.