Audrey told me six months in advance that she wanted a Minnie Mouse party for her fourth birthday. That was an easy request and one that I was sure I could find lots of fun ideas for. I went to my source for fun crafty ideas – Pinterest! I found several cute Minnie and Mickey tiered cakes and some adorable cupcakes. See my For Audrey Pinterest Board for what I found and other girlie pins.
I decided to make these cupcakes. The original pin was taken from Facebook and was not properly pinned so it did not go back to the original source.
Looking at the photo, it appears to be of some professionally made cupcakes. I say that because of the special box they are in and the perfect little bows which appear to be made of sugar.
I figured they would be easy to duplicate, and not nearly as time-consuming as making a layered cake with fondant. We had just returned from our trip to Disneyland three days before the party and I didn’t have time for a huge production like Sean’s Angry Birds cake and cupcakes!
Here is how I made the Minnie Mouse Cupcakes:
- 2 boxes of chocolate cake mix
- 2 containers vanilla frosting
- 48 red with white polka dots paper cupcake pan liners
- 2 packages original Oreo cookies (some left over)
- 2 snack bags mini Oreo cookies (some left over)
- Piping bag with star tip to cover cake, a petal tip (narrow tear-drop shaped opening) to make the bow
- Food coloring for bows (red or pink). Gel color works best.
- Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the box. If you know me, you know I would have preferred to make the cak from scratch. I just didn’t have the time to do that and all the decorating, so I went with the boxed stuff. It was fine.
- Level the tops of the cupcakes with a serrated knife.
- Cover the cupcakes by applying frosting with the star tip. Reserve a small amount of frosting to color for the bows.
- Sort small Oreos and discard/set aside any that are broken. Place one large Oreo and two small Oreos for the mouse head.
- Mix reserved frosting with food coloring until desired tint is reached. Place in clean piping bag with petal tip.
- Pipe on bows. I started in the center, moving out and then over to make a loop on one side, then the other.
- For Mickey Mouse cupcakes skip steps 5 & 6 (no bows).