This is the third quinoa recipe I’ve made. I like quinoa for it’s high protein and quick cooking. I’ve found that the taste is much improved if I thoroughly rinse it prior to cooking. My husband, however, has not been impressed. In an effort to find a quinoa recipe that would tickle his taste buds I tried this spicy version.
This is by far the best quinoa recipe I’ve tried so far. I served it warm the evening I cooked it, but ate it cold as leftovers the next day. I think it’s actually better chilled!
2 cups quinoa, thoroghly rinsed
3 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
1 jar fire roasted red bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley (about 3/4 cup chopped leaves)
Salt to taste (approx 1/2 tsp)
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
Tips and Tricks
- This dish is high in protein and is great as a vegetarian meal.
- This makes a large batch, enough for 3-4 people as a main dish or 6 as a side dish.
- The cayenne pepper gives this quinoa a nice kick of heat, but is not overpowering for the volume here. For a milder dish, reduce to 1/4 tsp.