Broccoli casserole is a great addition to your holiday meals or a unique potluck dish. This recipe is based on a dish my mother-in-law makes. It’s a nice change from the ordinary green bean casserole for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Don’t be frightened when you see the ingredients–canned cheese is for more than just snack crackers! I was skeptical as first too, but it tastes delicious.
1 cube of butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 box seasoned croutons
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 ½ – 2 pounds broccoli florets
1 can Easy Cheese, American or Cheddar flavor
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter and add chopped onions. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Add the croutons and cook until most of the butter is absorbed. The croutons will brown a little.
- Add broccoli and cover. Cook for a few minutes, just to soften broccoli slightly. Remove from heat.
- In a 9×13″ casserole dish begin by spreading a thin layer of soup in the bottom of the pan.
- Add broccoli mixture. Dollop on more soup. Spray on Easy Cheese in an even layer. Repeat.
- When finished, press down into pan gently.
- Cook at 350° for one hour or until casserole is bubbly and heated through in center. Or, if making ahead cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Cook the following day at 350° for up to two hours, or until heated through.
Step By Step Photos