I usually bring scones to MOPS when it’s my table’s turn to bring breakfast. They are easy for me and I know they will turn out great. For some reason, I decided to make an egg dish this time.
I read through a few recipes online and didn’t really like what I saw. I wanted to make an egg casserole without bread so I came up with my own. It smelled so good on the car ride to the meeting!
By the time I made it to the buffet table there were only two pieces left! At least I got to taste it…I will be making another one for my family this weekend!
1 lb breakfast sausage, bulk or remove from casings
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
4 green onions, sliced
4 cups shredded cheese
1 can evaporated milk
2 TBSP flour
Preheat oven to 375°
1. Brown the sausage in a large skillet. If using links, remove from casings and break apart while browning. Remove from pan.
2. Add mushrooms, onions to the skillet. If dry, add 1 tsp of butter to saute.
3. In a 9″x13″ pan layer sausage, veggies and half of the cheese. Repeat.
4. In a medium bowl beat eggs. Whisk in milk and flour, alternating. Whisk until most of the flour is incorporated. A few tiny lumps are fine.
5. Pour egg mixture evenly over the meat/veggie/cheese in the pan.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until center is set and top is lightly browned. Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
7. Serves 6 as a main dish breakfast. Or 12-15 as a brunch buffet item.