I’m so glad strawberries are back in season! I bought a box of beautiful strawberries at Costco last week. We enjoyed them as strawberry shortcakes the first night I bought them. I still have some left, so I decided to create a fresh strawberry scone!
I diced the strawberries small so in hopes that they would not become soggy. They turned out very good. The small bits of strawberry worked well, and the vanilla extract gives it that taste of whipped cream. I also added a little sprinkle of washed raw sugar to give it extra sweetness and crunch. Here is the result!
2 cups flour
4 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBSP baking powder
6 TBSP cold butter
1 cup diced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup half & half
1 tsp vanilla
raw sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
These are very easy to make, you just need a pastry blender to mix in the butter. This is what you do:
- In a medium bowl mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in butter
- Measure the half & half. Break one egg into the measuring cup with half & half, beat until well mixed.
- Add one teaspoon of vanilla extract to the milk mixture and mix well.
- Pour milk mixture into the dry mix and stir with a fork until combined.
- Gently mix in diced strawberries.
- Turn out onto a floured board. Do not knead, just pat until dough stays together.
- Pat out into a circle 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (about 8″ diameter).
- Cut into quarters, then cut each of those in half to make eight triangles total.
- Sprinkle the tops of scones with raw sugar if desired.
- Place on unbaked cookie sheet and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.