I whipped up a double batch of these this morning. So warm and flaky – just right for a rainy morning.
Here’s what you need for a single batch, which makes 8 large scones:
2 cups flour
4 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP baking powder
6 TBSP cold butter
2/3 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup half & half
These are very easy to make, you just need a pastry blender to mix in the butter. This is what you do:
- In a medium bowl mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in butter
- Stir in dried cherries
- Measure the half & half. Break one egg into the measuring cup with half & half, beat until well mixed.
- Pour into the dry mix and stir with a fork until combined.
- Turn out onto a floured board. Knead a few times until dough stays together.
- Pat out into a circle 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into quarters, then cut each of those in half to make eight triangles total.
- Place on unbaked cookie sheet and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
I like to buy the big bags of dried fruit at Costco. Our store usually has dried blueberries, cherries and cranberries. You could substitute any kind of dried fruit you prefer for the cherries. Happy baking everybody!