Here’s a quick minestrone soup that I whipped up tonight. I was trying to use up a variety of fresh vegetables that were sitting in my refrigerator. This makes a huge pot – enough for a large family!
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cups diced carrots
6 celery ribs, sliced
Salt & pepper
1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
1 large can whole peeled tomatoes
6 cups water
1 TBSP chicken bouillon
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
2 small zucchini, diced
1/2 small green cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
2 cups small pasta shapes (I used ditalini)
1. In a 10 quart stockpot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender and slightly browned.
2. Add carrots and celery cooking until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remember that bouillon will add salt as well.
3. Add tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning and bouillon. Simmer for 10 minutes then add zucchini and cabbage.
4. Add pasta 10 minutes before serving. Check seasoning and adjust if needed.
5. Serve with fresh grated parmesan or Romano cheese on top and crusty bread.