My first project was fire starters. Our new house has a beautiful big wood-burning fireplace, but it doesn’t have a gas starter. We’ve been using paper and kindling most of the time. I’ve also used fire-starter blocks (my mom bought for us, thanks mom!) from the hardware store and they worked well. When I saw a DIY project for fire starters on Pinterest I thought I should give it a try! The original post with instructions comes from Root Simple here.
MATERIALS I USED:
The things I used for this project are totally free – it actually used up things I would otherwise throw away: dryer lint, cardboard egg cartons, leftover candle wax (from burned out candles).
I started collecting the dryer lint a few weeks ago. There is never a shortage of that around here! I just keep a small plastic storage container in the laundry and keep filling it up.
I also purposely bought eggs in cardboard egg cartons rather than foam containers for a few weeks. We go through a lot of eggs, so that was easy too.
The tough part came in finding the left-over candle wax. But one of my 3-wick candles had a blow out and there you go – a big lump of wax. I also collected the wax left after burning some votives. I also have some blocks of wax from the craft store (for candle making) but didn’t need those.
I also used empty glass jars (from spaghetti sauce), a large pot and some aluminum foil.
WHAT I DID:
When I thought I had enough lint saved up I filled the egg cartons. I packed it in so the wells of the carton were full with lint.
Then I cut the wax up into smaller pieces and put it in a couple of empty glass jars.
And….THEY WORK GREAT!