What goes better with fresh bread than soup? I bought one of those large packages of cut broccoli florets at Costco last week. Not sure what I was thinking, buying 3 lbs of broccoli for two adults and two picky preschoolers! What to do with all of that broccoli? Make some creamy, cheese broccoli soup, of course!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded cheese
This is very simple to put together:
1.Begin by steaming the broccoli until just tender, do not over cook. Drain and chop into small pieces.
2.In a large pot saute the onion and celery in the butter over medium heat until translucent.
3.Add the flour, salt and white pepper. Cook until slightly browned, about 3 minutes.
4. Add chicken broth and milk. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring to a low boil, stirring frequently.
5. Reduce heat and add the chopped cooked broccoli and cheese.
6. Stir for a few minutes, until heated through.
Makes 4-6 servings as a main dish. I really enjoyed this soup. It was easy and I had everything I needed in the house already to make it. I’m planning a soup luncheon for Audrey’s birthday party, and this will be on the menu!