I like to make my own bread when I can, but sometimes life happens and I just have to buy a loaf at the store. Or we’re having hamburgers and I need buns. I am able to make my bread go farther by making my own croutons. It’s very easy and they turn out great. Much healthier than fried croutons from the store.
Tip for breads: Keep your breads in the refrigerator to extend their life. It’s very important if you make bread from scratch as it has no preservatives and will mold quickly in a warm kitchen.
- Start collecting bread pieces to use by placing a gallon size zip-top bag in the refrigerator.
- Fill with bread heals (end pieces) and old/stale bread.
- Most types of bread will work: sandwich breads, bakery breads, bagels, hot dog/hamburger buns.
- When the bag is full it’s time to make croutons!
- Dice up bread pieces into small cubes
- Place in a bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil, toss to coat
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and toss again
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, checking after 15 minutes
- Allow to cool and store in an air-tight container