This is a very easy dessert to make. The original name was “dump cake” since you just open things and dump them in the pan. However, I didn’t find that name too appetizing so I’m calling it Cherry-Pineapple Cobbler now!
This is one of my go-to desserts that I can make in a pinch. I keep the ingredients stocked all the time so I unexpected company arrives for dinner, I can throw together this dessert in about five minutes. It’s delicious and so, so easy.
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds, but pecans are nice too.)
- 1 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- In a 9″x13″ baking dish spread the crushed pineapple.
- Add the cherry pie filling, spreading over the pineapple.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the fruit.
- Using a rubber scraper or spatula, make a few up/down motions through the layers. Do not stir. This helps the crust to develop into a nice layer and prevents it from having dry powder spots. See photo below.
- Sprinkle on the chopped nuts.
- Slice the stick of butter very thinly and place the squares on top of the nuts.
- Bake for 45 -55 minutes, or until the crust is starting to brown.