I bought a nice beef pot roast at Costco yesterday to make beef stroganoff in my crock pot. Since I’m doing an all scratch cooking diet, that means no onion soup mix or canned cream of mushroom soup.
I looked up a few recipes online, but most had canned cream soups. So I decided to wing it and make up my own.
Here’s what I did:
- Mix flour with a little salt and pepper in a gallon size zip-lock bag
- Cut the beef into cubes
- Dredge the beef in the flour and brown in a skillet with olive oil
- Place the beef in the crock pot
- Brown up sliced onion and mushrooms in the leftover drippings
- Add the veggies to the crock pot
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water mixed with 2 tsp of beef bouillon paste (Better Than Bouillon brand)
- Set the cooker to low for six hours.
- When it’s time to serve dinner, boil some wide egg noodles.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream to the beef just before serving.
It was creamy and good, and not too salty since there was no mushroom soup mix. You can always add more salt at the table – that’s my philosophy.