This recipe is based on one in the original South Beach Diet book, but I’ve changed it a bit and increased the quantities for a total of three dozen mini quiches.
- 2 bags (16 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. diced ham
- 2 1/2 cups Mexican Blend shredded cheese
- 1 carton (32 oz.) egg substitute
- foil cupcake liners (do not use liners if you plan to freeze)
Preheat oven to 350°. Fill muffin tins with foil cupcake liners and spray them with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients and divide evenly amount 36 muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set. A butter knife inserted into the center should come out clean.
These can be frozen in gallon size zipper freezer bags and stored for a month in the freezer. To reheat place one quiche (without foil liner!) in microwave and heat for about 1 minute on high. I have a very powerful microwave, and microwaves vary, so check that it is heated through and adjust cooking time if needed.
Use low-fat shredded cheese to make it a South Beach “legal” breakfast for Phase 1 or Phase 2. Non-South Beachers can substitute crumbled bacon or sausage for the ham, if desired.